Two Hearted 50k: New State/New Trail

Months before my birthday I decided a 50k would be a great present to myself. Running as many miles as I was years old sounded like a great way to celebrate, but I also completely ruined my last chance to run a marathon for this occasion (it'll be 50k distances from here on out or longer, heres to getting older!) I wasn't inclined to sign up for a road marathon, so I searched 'local' trail marathons for that weekend. Naturally, I gravitated to the 50k because they don't make it harder to sign up for a little bit more distance with 5 dollars more to register, and found two within semi-reasonable driving distance, looked at the pictures of both online, and made my choice. I registered for the Two Hearted 50k in Paradise/Newberry Michigan in the U.P. We booked a camping site and I sat on it, did some training, and before I knew it I was another year older, packed and ready to jet after work.


Our Breakfast stop Friday morning. Sunshine and a cool breeze Photo: Long




This would be my first ultra since Wild Duluth 100k did me in last year, specifically my right tibia. I had months of little to no running and waiting what felt like an eternity to get back into running. I will flat out say that injuries suck, but it taught me an important lesson about strength training and keeping everything in balance. Slowly and surely I can say that I am back on the running wagon! 

We packed everything into Long's car, including little Bean, who would experience her first camping experience. We left the cities and headed out to a Walmart along the way so we could car camp. After sleeping for a few hours we rearranged the car and hopped back in for the remainder of the journey on Friday. We stopped at spots along the way to eat lunch and to do some sight seeing,  We stopped at Pictured rock to do some sight seeing, and I got to do shakeout run that quickly turned into a shaken up run as I took a significant fall within the first mile. I slid on my hands, stomach, and knees going slightly downhill. I even remember letting out a 'uuf!' because the impact on my stomach was rough. I brushed myself off, part of me wanted to turn back, but the other part said that this could happen during any run, and specifically a race, and that there isn't an option of turning back. Adrenaline and stinging hands, I kept going which I was so happy I did because the lower beach was incredible!

The Agile collection looks cool but I for one am not Agile- falling in style? Photo: Long


After that we made our way to have lunch and head to packet pick up at the high school. The packet pick up was a bib and a shirt and was only asked for my name. I overheard another woman ask about the start and one of the volunteers told them to be sure to wear pants and a long shirt to keep the bugs off before the start. I walked closer and asked if this would be a good idea for the 50k start and was told they wouldn't make us stand around too long at the start. After packet pick up we drove to the lower falls where there was a brewery and a flurry of people. It was a gorgeous evening and I was feeling happy and calm with being able to see these new places.

After seeing the falls we went to our campsite. To my surprise, it was a lot more crowded than I pictured it to be in my head, and definitely not as secluded or private as I had hoped (comparing it to those campsites up north as this was my only point of reference or comparison). It was a beautiful place to camp by the river. We set up camp and Long went for a mini run.

Bean: Our guard dog who barks at whomever she pleases Photo: Long


If I don't say it now I will say it here. It.was.so.buggy. I brought at least five different kinds of repellent. I couldn't check the weather as phone service going into the campground and for the remainder of the weekend/time in Michigan I had no cell service. This was a blessing in disguise because otherwise I would be too fixated on all the events elsewhere (Black Hills, Western States, etc.) Sure, life happens at a fast pace and is super exciting, but I was so content and happy with just being outside with my favorite pup and partner.

I set my alarm for 3:45 and 4:00 for Friday morning as I would have to board the bus from the finish at 5:30 and it would be a 20-30 minute drive to the lower falls. Long made me coffee and helped make my breakfast and gather our things before heading out. I packed my vest and made sure I had bug repellent in many forms with me. We headed our around 4:50 to get to the lower falls. On the ride I filled my bottles and made sure I had enough nutrition and essentials with me to get through the unknown miles.

It was a chilly morning, I tried to keep in perspective the sudden jump from Winter and Summer in Minnesota, and that 50 degree weather was a great change. Boarding the bus I always forget the wheel seat exists so I sat down and tried to make myself comfortable. The bus was alive with conversation, runners talking about what distance they were doing (the marathoners and the 50k runners rode the bus to the start together and the marathon started 30 min. later). It was so awesome to hear people talk about fall superior and the excitement and nervousness it brought out of them. It made me smile to hear the familiar mentioned in the unfamiliar. One man talked about how he wanted to burro race when he retired and I smiled, thinking about how burro racing was also on my bucket list. I also saw a woman sitting a row in front of me wearing a Rocksteady Running hat. It's always amazing to me how great races get mentioned and spread to different races.

At 6:15 the bus stopped on a dirt road and we were told to all get out and use the Porta Potties if we needed and the race would start at 7:00. Everyone lined up in 4 lines, and the woman wearing the RSR hat was standing in front of me, she turned around and said, "Did you finish Wild Duluth last year?"
 I perked up, "Yes"...
"Are you Michelle?!"
"Yeah"...
"I thought I recognized you! I also did Wild Duluth, but I didn't finish". She went on to say she wanted a redemption run like myself, but was too angry to try again this year. I reassured her that Wild Duluth was tough and I didn't get it on my first attempt and that she will get it when she is ready. Her name was Rachel and was also from Minneapolis. It was nice to have someone to talk to before the start of the race. At 6:45 the RD made some comments and mentioned that they would start the race early. One man asked where he should put his drop bags. The race director happily took his drop bags in his car and told the man he would deliver them to wherever he wanted. The race atmosphere was so casual and laid back, it was a nice change. We lined up closer to the start flags and he made more comments about trail markings and bear poop, to which one woman, frazzled said, "Wait what!? There's Bears!?". The race director reassured her that everyone would be okay and that if we saw one, to sing a song or whistle and we would be fine. Rachel wished me good luck and we were off with a RD saying something like "okay go!"

RD Jeff giving us a mini briefing before another mini briefing 

The Start! 


The first few miles were on a dirt road, I felt a little tired but happy to be out running on new trails, I reminded myself that this was my birthday present to myself and to simply enjoy the challenges and the new views. we veered off onto the North Country Trail, where the remainder of this race would take place. It reminded me of a crossover of the SHT and something out of Jurassic Park, where the single track was met with hip high ferns, and more open fields with scattered trees.

Within the first 5-8 miles, two women ahead of me let out a scream. Instinctively, I thought it was a snake, but my eyes saw a skunk, tail pointed up and afraid. I had no idea what to do so the five of us runners stood still. The scream probably scared the poor creature. It ran down the trail and after one last look at us, and ran into the hip high ferns.

I wanted to get out of my head, and the runner in front of me had 2017 finisher socks on, so I asked him how he got his socks. He got them from the Pittsburgh marathon, which happened to be his anniversary weekend so him and his wife run it together every year. I thought about Long and how we would both think that is adorable but not so much the road running part.

A large chunk of this 50k was along the shoreline of Lake Superior, and I was not prepared for long stretches of running through deep sand, this made me think of my dear friend Jessica and how she runs in the dunes with her pups and how her feet must have killed her running in the sand! Ouch. When it wasn't deep sand and sand dunes, it was hip high (or higher) ferns and if you weren't looking for blue blazes, you were wondering where the trail went or if you were even on a trail at all! There was one instance where we all got a bit lost together as a pack before realizing where the trail went.

After crawling up and gliding down a dune, I saw two familiar figures on the beach. "Bean!" I yelled out and waved at them.  I was so happy to see them, they yelled and I waved. I skipped the aid station as both bottles were still pretty full and asked as I trotted off how many to the next. Five miles to the next aid station. Perfect! I felt good, my supplies were full, and I was making good time. The views were incredible, so much that I took a fall on a downhill, I quickly spring up, brushed the sand off, and kept on. The fall from Friday was worse so I was prepared to fall I guess, ha! I have a friend that always told me, "A race doesn't start until you fall!" so I laughed to myself as the race started for me then!

Over the bridge after running along the shoreline. Photo by Long 


At mile 13 or so, I started to feel a little lightheaded and dizzy. I checked my flasks and realized I hadn't restocked at the first aid station nor took in any sips of water or Tailwind. I started to take sips to help ease my head, I couldn't feel this way at this point in the race. With the lightheadedness my stomach decided to go south. I told myself to make it to the next aid station to find a bathroom. The miles flew by and aid station two was in reach. I refilled my flasks and headed out. Thankfully, this stretch went through a campground, and this meant I got to have an oasis of a bathroom.

After this stretch, I hit a low point, and I can only blame myself for not fueling earlier. Thankfully this section was flat enough that I could jog it off which worked for me. I also started to think about Bean and a song Long and I recently heard where a voiceover said that there are people begging to be wherever you are in life. Yes, I was running for people who couldn't, for people who wanted to be in my position, and for Bean, who would be out on the trails had she not been hit by a car. I was thankful that she could go with and that she was on the mend, and most of all happy.

Off into the woods we go! Photo: Long


Soon we were at mile 18-19, where the bugs started getting me wherever I didn't apply Ultrathon or spray. Thankfully the volunteers were ready to give us a new coat of repellent when we stopped. They were the best at getting us in and out of the aid stations quickly and giving us encouragement. I was so thankful that they stuck it out through the heat and the bugs! The bugs were by far the worst part of the race. I was surprised that I only sustained the amount of bites that I did! Ultrathon works wonders and HIGHLY recommend it for buggy trail runs and buggy areas. I watched the bugs fly away from the places I applied it, but they sure as hell found the spots I didn't apply it (ears, hair, temples, hands, back of neck, ouch!)

Miles 20-22 flew by as they were on a gradual uphill dirt road that was very runnable. I was getting excited to see the mile 26 marker as I wanted to take a picture of it (since I turned 26). It made me think of my parents, because when I run Voyageur, it is the same weekend as my parents anniversary, and I dedicate their year anniversary to whatever mile it is (plus it makes me tear up and my parents are simply amazing). Miles 23-25 were a little tough, the heat was settling in, there were more exposed areas, and the bugs seemed to thicken around me. I finally reached the mile 26 marker and I thought, totally with bias, that this was the most beautiful mile marker. I took some quick pics as the bugs wanted in too, and kept going.

26 years old at mile 26! A quick selfie before the bugs started eating my neck and ears, gross 

Mile 26! The most beautiful mile (totally biased opinion!)


"How many miles is a 50k?! 31? 32? 33?" I thought to myself. Soon enough, I was at the last aid station.  I was told that this was the last aid station before the finish. What!? Seemed so soon, and far away! 7-8 to go, that's not a lot of water and tailwind to keep me going so I better conserve it. How many miles is a 50k? I was confused and too embarrassed to ask and my counting during a race is always terrible so I try not to do it too much. Long helped me pack my hat and back pouch full of ice. It was hot and didn't realize it until the ice hit my back and head. That feeling took me right back to Voyageur last year and thought about how much ice I went through!

When I was apparently 2-2.5 miles to the finish, another runner approached behind me. I asked him if he knew how many miles to the finish and he said "it's 2 or so more miles". WHAT!? I admittedly told him I had 4-6 in my mind and I liked his answer a lot better. This gave me the confidence to actually drink water and pick up my pace. He stepped to the side of the trail as I made my last two miles worth it. With a mile and a quarter to go, I approached a large mud puddle. I was already crusty at this point so I went through the middle. I hyper extended my leg and let out a long "OUCH!" as I felt something from the back of my leg pop. That didn't feel too good, but didn't want to baby it this close to the finish, it's go time! I passed an older gentlemen and he said "Hey I remember you!" I remembered his face from earlier as her was also doing the race. I told him we were so close and that he was doing great!

Another 50k finish in the books! So happy, hot, sore, and hungry! Photo: Long 


Around a pond and close to the lower falls, the finish line was in sight. After crossing the two mats, I was handed a receipt with my results. I was 11th overall of 43 runners, the 4th female, and 2nd in my age group- great birthday surprises! I was given a medal and we headed to a lake spot where I could  put my feet in the water to cool off and have some lunch.

Not bad for the first ultra of 2018 and turning another year older!  

mud leg warmers! 

dirt-dipped toes! 


The rest of the weekend was relaxing and amazing. The sights and places in Michigan were beautiful and we were all sad it was over so quickly. I was happy with how the race went, and of course I could have done better knowing I was so close to placing, but these are all things I will carry with me for the next ultra. I also learned to fuel early and often (which I always think I will do but never put into practice!). I also realized that my sweet tooth does not always translate to running as flavored Tailwind almost made me vomit. I cannot eat solid food in high temps, and liberally apply Ultrathon EVERYWHERE.

Family photo on the drive home Sunday. Photo: Long 


Overall I would highly recommend doing the Two Hearted 50k if you are looking for a scenic, laid-back, friendly race. The RD is very friendly, approachable, and accommodating. I will say that if you rely on Aid Stations for a variety of fueling options, bring your own fuel. I will also note that if you cannot stand bugs, bug bites, or bugs in general: DO NOT do this race. You can check out the other races from Great Lakes Endurance here (not gonna lie, the snowshoe races look enticing...)

Medal nestled between some of my favorite race memorabilia 


What worked: Clothing! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the Salomon S/Lab Modular skirt and mid length underwear (or any of the modular lengths that suit your style!) I had ZERO chafing and they are such light, durable pieces I had to look down a few times to make sure I still had something on. The underwear also offers compression so my legs felt pretty good afterwards too! I also wore the 2017 version of the compression tee which helps with overall soreness, posture, and keeping the core temp down. Again, no chafing and felt pretty cool in the tee, I was tempted to wear a singlet but made the right call with this tee hands-down.

Hat! I am so so so so glad I took Long's advice with wearing a hat! I loved this hat because I could flip the bill in shaded spots. Light enough too that it didn't feel too hot on my head, but sadly doesn't keep ice in it too well.

The shoes: S/Lab Ultra- perfect for the conditions. and offered enough cushion, traction while still being light and durable,

Socks: Balega Ultralight Quarter

Pack: S/Lab Sense Ultra 8 Set. Light, stretchy, and didn't need to use any drop bags. Carried all my own gear and still room to picked up trash and dropped gus along the way ;)

Nutrition: Tailwind (orange, berry, and 1 green tea for the morning miles pick-me-up), a few bites of a Trail Nugget Bar in peanut butter and chocolate (it was so hot that I couldn't eat!)

Bug Repellent: Ultrathon. This stuff is pretty gross to put on I'm not going to lie- it is s slimy, greasy "lotion" but I watched at bugs flew around me wherever I applied it- it is also said that it creates a cloud around you as you sweat and I do believe there was a cloud of sorts!

Recovery: This is the part where I would usually say I eat a lot of food (which I do!) but I am not going to omit the things that have helped me recover smoothly. In the past, I have been terrible about self care and recovery but thanks to recently discovering Runners High Herbals within the past year since my injury through the late fall-late spring, I have found how essential it is to care for the body! I came back Sunday to find these products waiting for me and let me tel you they could not have come at a better time. After foam rolling and using the handheld stick roller, I applied these products religiously over my sore and tired legs, arms, and back. Not only does it help speed and boost recovery, it.smells.amazing.

-Super Herb Massage Oil (smells AMAZING) and really helps with soreness/speedy recovery.
-Itch Stick (for all the bug bites I sustained wherever I did not apply Ultrathon!)
-Chill AF muscle rub (love the IcyHot feel! especially on my feet and toes)

**if you shop at Runners High Herbals you can use MICHELLETHEDOE10 for 10% off anything (you will love their stuff!)

Also part of my recovery and a sweet surprise from my sister is her homemade granola. This is the best granola in the world and I cherish this delicious treat. Thanks Olivia!

Olivia's Granola= Heaven 






Comments

Popular Posts