Pre-Race Report: The Third Installation of Voyageur!

I've never done a pre-race report, but I thought it would be a great time to share my thoughts going into my third Voyageur this year.

Two years of the most beautiful, handmade finishers mugs (still scared to drink out of them!)


My first Year was in 2016- coming off my first 50 mile at Zumbro that year. I felt invincible and continued to do so until everything came to a screeching halt at Wild Duluth, where I DNFed and doubted my abilities, but did not give up and I didn't stop.

2017 was the year I learned to run with my heart. I had completed my first 100 mile at Zumbro with flying colors and everything fell into place. After taking pictures at Afton Trail races in early July, I fell ill and was hospitalized for a week in probably the worst pain I have ever experienced, I asked the doctors, when I wasn't sleeping in a sea of drugs if I would be able to run Eugene Curnow and Voyageur upon my release (which was still undetermined at the time). They kept shaking their heads at the thought of me running a marathon the following weekend, and left Voyageur up to me, but with discrepancy. I had about 10 miles of training between my release and toeing the line at Voyageur, and took my experience at Zumbro and ran with my heart, because at mile 16 or so I had one of those "okay, here we go" moments where I could feel my body wasn't ready for any miles after that, but was carried my the people and community around me.

Now there's Voyageur 2018, which at this point approaches a lot sooner that I think! I have had my hand dealing with injury, life events, and just comparing myself to the person I was in these past two events. There are a lot of reasons I should be doubtful and worried going into this years Voyageur, but I also have to remember the simple- the willingness as one of my favorite ultra runners posted recently on her Facebook and other social channels.


Screen Grab From Yellowrunner Facebook Page


While I haven't been running in the heat, or running extensive miles or putting in the proper training for this race. I am willing, I am grateful for the community and the past experiences with this race, and I have no doubt in my mind that the bar is still set high for this year.

I hope this gives you the right amount of encouragement and hope going into this year's Voyageur, whether this is your first time or fifth time! 

Now, who is hungry for some power lines for breakfast and lunch?

Comments

Popular Posts