The power of invitation

I was working at a pretty fun job at the time, about three or so years ago. My coworkers were delightful. I was mostly surrounded by women in my part of the job, and we had the opportunity to chat and connect daily. I liked that part of the job.

One in particular was an avid runner (thats you, Kari!), not just any runner an ultra runner. At the time, that word flew right over my head.

It must had been late winter/ verge of early spring when we were working together and as we were talking about running, she slipped a postcard across the table to me. "You should run this with me!"The post card was for a ten mile trail race. I must have looked at that post card with wide eyes, eyes that showed interest and fear. I reasoned with myself, I haven't run further than five miles on the treadmill, because that's when it would max out and I would call it good. I just did it to stay sane and to stay in somewhat decent shape in college/post college life. What would four more miles be like? What would trails be like? I hardly ran outside let alone on trails because I was so tied to thinking my asthma controlled me in an uncontrollable environment.

The first 10 mile race that started it all! City Trail Loppet


However I came to the conclusion, I signed up. I have no doubt it was her persuasiveness, and by that it was nothing more than encouragement and belief. She made me a training plan on a piece of note paper that I followed religiously. I still remember the day I ran further than 5 miles on the treadmill, I teared up. I pushed past the limit I held myself to for so long and friends, it was amazing. What else could I do? What else am I capable of?

Feed My Starving Children 10k 

As I look back on that trail race, it was one of the hardest things I've ever done at that point in my life. I was exhausted, I thought I lost a toenail ( which I didn't, it was just me running in way too small of shoes, whoops!) all of this aside, the feeling of accomplishment that day brought led me to keep going, pursuing longer and more challenging distances. It led me to sign up for my first marathon, ultra, and ultra distances beyond. Not only that, it brought me to grow and love in the trail running community and meet some of the most amazing people on the planet.

Frist 50 mile memorabilia 

So, how did this all snowball to the place I am today? Because one person decided to reach out and invite me into a very special part of their world.

I think about the impact this had on my life when I look back on the timeline of my relationship with running. It has transformed into a thing I did to stay in shape and I held myself to a limit- to an activity that I am privileged to do, that I have a body capable of going great distances, that there's a welcoming community ready to hold the hands of those newcomers like myself years ago. Running has been an outlet that has allowed me to grow in ways I never thought I would: pushing past limits I set myself while allowing and accepting new challenges along the way. It has also help me cope with some rough patches in my life as a way for me to bring peace to my life and sort my thoughts.

Running for the love of running! Photo by Long Nguyen


I encourage you to think about the power of invitation, not just in the way of running either (except it is a great way!) Maybe it's an invitation to grab coffee together, or go for a walk, maybe it is that invitation to that big scary trail run that you don't feel ready for but want to do, but aren't sure where to start.

This is also my invitation to you: Is there a race, or something you've wanted to so but not sure where to start? Let's talk!

Comments

Popular Posts