Haulin' Ass: Miner's Day Burro Race 10k September 21, 2019

"Did you see that there's a burro race the first day we are in Colorado?!" Long sent over a text. He then sent the link to the page where it lists the races. September 21st. I talked to him about if it would be possible for us to do one while we were there, or at least run/train with one to get comfortable with a burro before ever racing it, what if it wasn't my thing? 

Now would be a good time to take a few steps back and explain this all a little better. Over a year ago, I was watching this Salomon TV episode of Max King and Ryan Sandes racing burros. Yes, running with a burro. What kind of sport is this? Is it a sport? I wasn't sure what category it really fit into, or if it really needed to fit in to one at all. All I knew is I wanted to try it. I wrote it down in my journal in my race bucket list area. I planned to at least run with one sometime next year to see if I even liked it and then I would venture in to the burro racing scene.

Margaret made Long and I delicious dairy free cookies! It's Long, me (the doe) and a bunch of Buddy burro friends! 

Back in March, Long and I were invited out to the Salomon Summit where athletes and ambassadors mingled, ran, shared stories, and got to know each other better. I eventually got to ask Max King about his burro racing experience and where he got his burro from (hoping that I would not get his!) He gave me the information of Brad and Amber Wann, who run Laughing Valley Burro Ranch. I kept a screen shot of it on my phone and tucked it away as it wouldn't even really be a thought for me this year.

As our wedding drew closer and the planning became more concrete, so did our mini honeymoon to Colorado. Long was the one who originally told be about the burro race happening over the course of our stay and encouraged me to look into it. This was back in early August. I took out my phone, emailed Amber, and sat back and waited. I didn't expect much as it was probably too late to get in to, but I was put on a waitlist after applying to run with one. The application process goes through your running history and why you want to run with a burro.

After doing one of my last long runs with Marey on a beautiful Saturday/Sunday, we were having the best time, and something in the air was making everything go right. We talked about everything since we had so much trail time together and I had mentioned the burro race to her. I went home that evening and I came home to an email saying I had been accepted into the burro race and needed to enter the rental fee for Buddy. My burro was Buddy!!! I was so happy that I called Long right away (who was vacationing with his mom in California) and texted my friends letting them know I got in! I was so excited! I was going to run with Buddy.

Our Colorado trip was getting closer, and I was registered for the race and reviewing all the information Amber had sent in the email about the race, and about burro racing. I watched the video on how to brush and saddle so many times because I wanted to make sure I was well prepared for Saturday morning.

We flew into Colorado late at night, got to our rental car, and drove to the place we were staying late at night and early in the morning. We had to wake up early to eat breakfast, drink coffee, and get to the burro staging area around 7. This would be the time I would meet Buddy and start to get him ready. We walked over to the burros and the people working with the burros are the friendliest people EVER. All smiles with a genuine care and love for these burros. I was introduced to Buddy, a sweet, grey-colored burro who was a perfect height! They encouraged me to go into the pen with the burros and to start to get to know Buddy.

Getting to know the burros in the pen, they were very curious! 


Buddy, I was told, was a rescue from Arizona. He was in the back of a restaurant by a dumpster who was given any food that the locals would feed him. Because of this, Buddy became overweight. Because of this, Buddy's crest (hair on his neck) fell over. This is not a healthy sign as A. it indicates the burro being overweight and B. there is no reversing a fallen crest. While the people telling me this informed me that this information made them sad, they told me that he is now happy, healthy, and love to run! He was also the older burro in his mid 20's. Shortly after spending some time with him and getting to know him, they were ready to take him out and let me get to know him. I was taught how to handle him, how to hold the rope, and how to direct Buddy.

First meeting Buddy! 


We got to know each other, running, walking, and trotting in the field, until he realized it was a field and stopped to graze. He loved to run and eat. I guess I can relate!

After we got some good practice in, they brush, saddled, and strapped on some of his necessary gear. Burro racing comes from traditional gold mining, and because of that the burros are required to wear the traditional saddle with a gold pan, pick axe, and shovel. The saddle must also be weighed beforehand to make sure it weights 33 lbs. Because of his pack, we was also able to hold any of my gear (the required list of gear for humans was gloves for holding the rope, sunscreen, water, food).

Getting to know Buddy and the basics of burro racing! 


After Buddy was all equipped, it was time for him to check in. I had to hoax him quite a bit to get to the area. I got a shirt, buff, and other goodies in a bag, and no bib for me! It is a burro race, meaning they get tagged because it is their race! I loved that! I guess you could say I was pacing Buddy!

We got to hang out and spend quite a bit of time together, which is nice. It took the pre-race nervousness away a bit as we got there at 7 and the race didn't start until 11:00/11:30. More and more people showed up to claim their burros for the day, getting to know them and training with them before the big show!

Posing before the start of the race, act cool! 


During this time, I also figured out why Buddy was named Buddy... he always wanted to be around other burros, and was pretty determined to be around them!

Soon, it was time to race! I went to the bathroom for the 46th time, and shortly after we all gathered around the staging area to have our race briefing, we all walked over to the starting line. It was so awesome to walk with everyone and their burros down the streets.

Adjusting and holding Buddy close at the start of the race 


I held Buddy close at the start and one of the volunteers helped me tighten Buddy's saddle one last time. We had to wait for the parade to end before the race started, and were instructed to hold our burros close as they all want to take off at the start of the race. We were off! People taking part spectating the parade now had a new shift of focus. They were cheering us all on! It was so amazing to see burros of different shapes, colors, and sizes! I was so glad Buddy was the height and size we was. Not too tall or too short, because turning him meant sometimes putting my elbow into his neck while pulling the rope (don't worry, they wouldn't instruct me to do anything to hurt the burro! I was very assured of this while getting to know him!)

As we were taking the first turn to get onto the sidewalk, one of the racers who was a little boy dropped his rope to tie his shoe. I think I gasped out loud thinking his burro would run away, thankfully his four-legged companion stood by him as he did. I didn't' want to think what would happen if I accidentally dropped mine! Buddy and I were running at a great pace. Hi ears were forward and focused. We were doing this, together!

I loved talking to him, telling him how good he was, what we had in common (eating, running, and that we both loved Arizona), and how he was such a strong runner!

Running strong with Buddy! 


While this lollipop shaped course offers a great experience for first time burro racers (flat, 10k distance on road and gravel path) there were two challenges for the four-legged runners: bridges and tunnels. Thankfully, the volunteers worked with them on Friday, the day before the race, to help them ease into the bridge and tunnel crossings. We were told that in the tunnel, they might try to dart towards the light. Burros also freeze if they are scared. Thankfully, I was encouraging enough to Buddy (constantly talking to him) that he was only a little hesitant to go through the tunnel.

the section after the tunnel was the trip around the reservoir. This was the gravel section and offered very pretty views. It wasn't until I was around the reservoir that I realized how spread out the field was. I also loved how everyone in the burro racing community was so kind and welcoming. They'd also help out if your burro didn't want to move. According to WBPA (Wester Burro Packing Racing Ass-ociation) other racers are allowed to help other runners/burros if your burro does not move/needs saddle adjustments, but no outside help is allowed.

There were times of walking after getting around the reservoir, which was understandable as it was getting hot. There was no coverage and the race was primarily on city sidewalks (can you imagine what people driving by were thinking?! let along the pedestrians on the city sidewalks and around the body of water?! Or is this just another day in Frederick, CO?!) When another Burro would run past us, it would give Buddy a bit of encouragement to keep running. I would try skipping, hooting and hollering, whistling, singing- anything! Walking was okay, it gave me a chance to save my throat and to drink water.

It wasn't always running... it was also a lot of walking and not walking 


"You don't control the burro's race, the burro controls you", A woman said as she passed me with her burro. I didn't need to be told that as I was going through that experience already! Plus it's a burro race!

Buddy wouldn't move, with anything I tried, except tugging on his harness. I wasn't a huge fan of doing this since, but it was the only thing to get him to at least walk a few steps. I would try encouraging him to look at his friends and how they were running. Eventually, after a lot of talking and help from fellow runners, we got him to the turn around the sidewalk, down the little gravel stretch, and to the field where the finish line was. We could see the finish line... from where Buddy decided to stop again. At this point, I was starting to get a bit frustrated, but didn't want it to effect him or this race. Back to pulling the harness. He tried turning around and I couldn't imagine doing another 10k! I finally got him to the turn to the field to the finish, where he started to run for a bit again (I think he wanted some peace and quiet where we just ran with each other for a bit).

We were probably 400 feet from the finish line, and it was a walk to it! Everyone was cheering for Buddy, and while everyone was cheering, he was not having it. He walked across the finish line, and was done. He wanted to be by his friends and eat carrots. We exchanged some last hugs, carrots, and pictures. We could tell he wanted to be done (it was a hot afternoon) and I had my share of exhaustion! I was starting to loose my voice from talking, hooting and hollering so much!

Post-race Buddy! 


I had so much fun with Buddy, I learned so much, and I love that burros love to run! Maybe not consistently, but thats OK! It makes it feel less like a race and more like a day of running with a new friend.

What a good Buddy! Miss him! 


I'll end with this, if burro racing has ever intrigued you, do it! It's a lot of fun and it's an experience you will love.

Thank you to all the volunteers that take care of the burros, rescue them, and give them a new life. Thank you for allowing people like myself to learn and run with these amazing athletes. Thank you Long for letting me know about the final race of the season, to Laughing Valley Burro Ranch, and to Buddy Brat (his full name) for letting me run with you! (I hope this wasn't the final race for you to decide you want to retire!)

We also did a vlog about the experience over on our FTM channel, check it out here!







Comments

Popular Posts